Welcome to the HiTechnic Blog!

The HiTechnic Blog is all about HiTechnic sensors and our other products.  We will show you how you can build cool models and explain how to program them.  There will building tips and programming tips.  We will talk about sensor data analysis so you can understand what the robot ’sees’ and figure out how it can respond.

There will also posts with links to articles about other projects out there that use HiTechnic sensors or multiplexers.

The first article coming up will be about an EOPD based wall tracking robot built on a new robot base called the HiTechnic Trike. The HiTechnic Trike is designed so that it can be built from either a 1.0 or a 2.0 LEGO Mindstorms NXT set.  The only difference is the part colors and the tires.  Here is a preview of the WallBot built from a 2.0 set:

WallBot - Hitechnic Trike with EOPD and Ultrasonic Sensors

15 Responses to “Welcome to the HiTechnic Blog!”

1. yo says:

Does it works if you don’t have the EPOD SENSOR?

2. Gus says:

You can build the Trike and use it as a robot base for your own creations. As far as the Wall follower goes, you may try this with the Light Sensor or Color Sensor and it may work okay. You will have to adjust the program though and it won’t handle variations in ambient light as well.

3. Achour says:

Why don’t you use the ultra sonic sensor?

4. Gus says:

The WallBot does use the Ultrasonic sensor to detect the inside corners. For tracking the wall the Ultrasonic sensor is much slower and has a lower resolution than the EOPD sensor.

5. Menno Gorter says:

My PF/NXT-Aragna wouldn’t be possible without your IR-link!
    ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd0lsrUdvz0 )
    I planed a lot more models with the IR-link so I have a stock of it now.

6. guido cox says:

Help! I have a question. When programming with the NXT IR link block, I have a problem. (in the form of a question) and ask
    loudly: I can set the speed pf motors? (There is no box you with power.) I program with NXT-G

7. Gus says:

Use the Power Function Extended IR Link block! This block gives you a slider so you can set the power of the PF motors.

8. fran_jo says:

Hi everyone!
    I have a question about the Tilt Sensor, used in the BallShooter. I followed the code and don’t understand one of the operations. In the LimitHVPos block there is a substraction = 60 – zAxis value . Why this substraction is needed?

Thanks!

9. Gus says:

The z-axis of the Acceleration sensor is used to control the up and down movement of the shooter. In this code I am converting the z axis of the sensor into a usable vertical position. I want 0 for the bottom of the range and 100 for the top. Since the z axis is 0 when the controller is held exactly vertical (z axis is horizontal) this math will give me a value of 60 for the vertical position. If I tilt the controller forward, the z axis value will go up, when it has gone up to 60, the result of the math will be zero and that will be my bottom limit. If I move the controller towards me past vertical, then I can get to the 100 limit.

If I wanted straight up and down to be half way in the range I would have done 50-z but I chose to offset it forward a little as I felt the controller was more comfortable in that position.

10. Alexander says:

Why do you have made all these sensors in black?

11. Alexander says:

Where are the building intsructions for this model here:

12. Gus says:

The only building instructions that are available are those that are included in the video. If you watch the video with plenty of pausing you should easily be able to build the same or something very similar. The program is available for download from the downloads page.

13. jaime says:

Hi Guys,
    I just got a Gyro sensor for Xmas and I was wondering if it will be very difficult to modify the BallShooter to be use with the Gyro instead of the accelerometer?

Great products btw…

Many thanks

Jaime

14. Gus says:

The problem with using the Gyro sensor for something like this is that it does not give you an absolute position. It just gives angular velocity. It also only gives you this rotation in one axis unlike the Acceleration sensor that gives you acceleration values in three axes. The reason the Acceleration sensor works as a tilt sensor is because gravity is perceived as acceleration. When the sensor is tilted, earth’s gravitation is measured on each axis relative to the angle of the axis to vertical.

I’m not sure if there is a good way to aim the ball shooter with just the Gyro Sensor.

15. jaime says:

Hi Gus,

Thanks for the replay. Understood now….Better save my bucks and get a new sensor then.

regards